Audio Player

Thursday 26 September 2013

Day 26: The once yearly Internet Ticket Scrum (or, Why do I put myself through this every year.. oh that's why.. because the result is fucking awesome...)

It's nearly that time again.

Nearly time for the Glastonbury ticket sale... that time where anyone with any sense is clicking on a mouse until they get a crippling repetitive strain injury, with a phone pressed to the ear so hard that it burrows through to the centre of your skull and deep into your brain meat...

I take this kind of thing seriously...
Ever since I saw the David Bowie set where he performed heroes and I wanted to fucking cry until my eyes popped at having missed it I've fought like a fucking cornered and pissed of lion to get tickets.

I've not missed one in over ten years. I'd love there to be a kind of season ticket arrangement, but since there isn't I really put the effort in. My longest stint was 12 straight hours. I had meals brought to me, and tea. I only stopped for toilet breaks. Other than that I hit redial and pressed refresh the whole time. I failed. But only until the festival started when I managed to use subterfuge to get in, a matter of great pride since it possibly the last year that was possible since they began giving photo ID's to all of the workers... I got in AFTER the 'superfence'...

I wouldn't try that now, I'm too old to be sneaking miles out of my way in a field at night, with half a ton of goods on my back and pretending to be someone else...

No, I have to get those tickets legit. And so I'm putting everything in place.
I'm going to the ol' family home, because they have a more stable internet connection. I will take a laptop, because I usually do this with at least 2 computers and a phone. I set up several browsers on a one second refresh and then set them going...

...and I must succeed. Not because Fleetwood Mac might be playing, (Because I hate them), Not because the Rolling Stones were so amazing last year (I saw them, they weren't, I left and went to see Public Enemy instead... now they WERE Amazing) Not even because the rumour that Prince might be playing (Which comes around every year and is almost certainly wrong).

No I have to get tickets because I love it. I wish I could buy a 'life ticket'. If I won the lottery I'd donate a ludicrous amount to whatever charity Eavis wanted in order to get one... It's the greatest festival in the world... in fact it's the greatest thing in the world...

...and I WILL be going!

(This will have a very tearful and enraged update if I fail...)

No comments:

Post a Comment