Audio Player

Wednesday 18 September 2013

Day 18: The only Gamer not Playing Grand Theft Auto 5... (Or, Why it takes something entirely non Televisual to Make me miss my Telly)

I have been having very vivid and violent dreams recently.
Incredibly violent.
One recently involved me running around with a large circular saw doing antisocial things. It was all very cartoony and slapstick and jolly good fun... and it is just one of many similar dreams I've been having in the past week... (albeit with the usual Odd Dream Logic, even in the Saw Dream I spent a long time looking for loose cables in room as they were a trip hazard that would reflect badly on the Health And Safety Audit I was having that day, before getting back to running around with a saw so big I couldn't even lift it in real life...)

This could be a sign of many things.
It could be that my clean living (Except Weekends) Lifestyle, with a solid sleeping pattern and no caffeine or nicotine is causing me to have vivid dreams in which I lash out. It could be a reaction to the stress of my job, which I have to feign reaction to in the office so nobody can tell how little I actually care. It could just be that I have deep seated psychological issues that can only be worked out with power tools and a shrieking crowd.

But it isn't any of that. It's just that I'm the only male Gamer who isn't playing Grand Theft Auto 5, and my brain is trying to cushion that blow by putting on it's own show of immersive, 'sandbox' ultra violence...

Yes, that Game came out, and whereas a few years ago I would be at the stores waiting for that midnight sale, I was actually in bed dreaming of Saws...

But why not?

Well I could go all beard-strokey and say it's blah blah bleeh blah glamourisation of violence and misogyny and that's why.. but it isn't.. I could try and act all alt-dot and claim I prefer Saints Row, which nobody really does... I could pretend I am too grown up and the activity shames me, which it doesn't... Believe me, I have a strong shame threshold... I could even moan about the price...

But it's none of this. I love the GTA series, have done for years. It was the game I dreamed of having when I used to play Werewolves of London on the old Spectrum.. a city at your command, where you can do anything.. Oh yes. Sign me in. I have GTA3 on my phone, and entertain myself on teh tube by racing around and trying to find all the jumps in Vice City.. I love it utterly, and it really is only getting better...

So why aren't I playing it?

Because I don't have a fucking TV!

I Have a TV license now, because of constant threats from 'The Man'... but No TV to plug my Xbox 360 into...

I was close to buying all 3 items this week, just so I could play. A TV, a new console (Which I already have one of, elsewhere) and the game itself. In fact, it is only the fact that the local shops had sold out of the game that prevented this ludicrous outlay of rent money... TV's, it seems are commonplace. GTA 5, is a rarity...

It will no doubt be the most lucrative entertainment product ever released, and good on it. People get so up in arms about what can be done in it's world.. but so what, even a copy of 'Miracle on 34th Street' can be put to ignoble use if you say... jam it into somebody's anus or something...

So I will soon be going back to the family home and getting out the ol' Xbox. And then I'll be investing in a little TV...

And then.. well and then I'll have to find someone with considerably more patience than me to go through the actual missions and unlock everything...

Any takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment